Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Nov 1996 13:48:12
From:         "Michael J. Kennedy" <Michael.J.Kennedy-5@tc.umn.edu>
Subject:      85 tranny/MN shops?

Hello everybody - this is Jim Hall ex-Listmember of Delaware and now moved to Minnesota about 1 month ago. My 85 Westy Wknr. 4-speed ran fine to get me the 1500+ miles to get here but the transmission and /or clutch failed me on Thanksgiving Day. First I noticed it shifting rather reluctantly & wrote it off to not being driven for a few days & sitting in the cold outside - then had trouble getting it in/out of gear at all. Seems like the engine will not disengage from the trans. fully - (start it up w/ clutch ALL the way in and it lurches forward) Bad scene.

So now I'd like to find out about some reputable shops in the Twin Cities Area for diagnosis/repair- I live in NE Minneapolis and know of the Volkswagen Man on Hennepin Ave. and the VW Clinic on Central Ave - any experience w/ those places or recommendations of anywhere else? I've got AAA Plus for towing so that shouldn't be too much of a hassle. ALSO - I guess I should put out feelers for a replacement 4speed transmission for an 85 as well. I'm NOT back on the list yet and borrowing my roommates account so PLEASE REPLY TO ----------- kenne031@maroon.tc.umn.edu

I called G.Skerbitz @ home this AM and left a message on his machine - I'm sure he can be of some help but I figured I'd reach out to all of you fine folks as well. I'll try to keep checking the Listserve Gopher as well for stray messages. THANKS SO MUCH IN ADVANCE - Jim Hall Phone 612-788-4580 kenne031@maroon.tc.umn.edu