Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Nov 1996 19:15:51 -0600
From:         "Brian Kraft" <bhkraft@gj.net>
Subject:      Re: Syncro on the Dunes?

>Syncro on the Dunes? > >Paul Anderson (ghostwriter@earthlink.net) >Mon, 25 Nov 1996 20:46:41 -0600 > >How well does a Syncro Westy fare on sand dunes? We have a pretty >good set of dunes on the west side of Michigan (Silver Lake, Sleeping >Bear, etc.), and have been considering taking a Syncro out on the >sand. > >Best Regards, > >Paul Anderson

Not recommended by me - not enough ground clearance. You're supposed to let some air out of the tires so that they will be less likely to spin in the sand, but this lessens the clearance even more, and it's just too easy to get high-centered and stuck.

Getting mud and sand caked around the steering unit can cause the seals to wear out faster, leading to rapid loss of power steering fluid and an expensive repair.

My opportunity to drive on sand dunes was at the Great Sand Dunes National Monument north of Alamosa, Colorado. The Forest Service road from Westcliffe over 9,950 ft. Medano Pass and down to Medano Creek and the dunes is a well known SUV attraction. I was able to get my Westy Syncro to the top of the pass from the east side, but the deep gullys in the road on the west side were too much and I decided to turn around and go back. The Monument's campground is a great place to camp if the wind isn't blowing, the dunes stretch for miles to the west; huge mountains of sand where Astronauts trained for the moon landings. The 4wd road to Westcliffe leads north from the campground and down into the wide, sand filled Medano Creek. The big problem is where the road descends the creekbank, it's just too soft and steep and getting back up it would be difficult. The sandy creekbed is also treacherous. So I consider the section of this famous trail from just north of the campground to the top of Medano pass to be off limits to Syncros, even tho the scenery is spectacular. -- Brian Kraft <bhkraft@gj.net> Grand Junction, Colorado '86 Westy GL Syncro --