Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 29 Nov 1996 21:55:45 -0800
From:         Austin <austins@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      V6 EV / aux. batterys

Just got back from the SF Auto Show - VW had a V6 EV on display, as a Winnebago camper conversion. Unless the grill/radiator tip forward (didn't seem to) changing plugs is gonna be a real b*tch. The rep said there is absolutely no possibility that any sort of Syncro/4wd will be available.

(as an aside that's definitely going to get me flamed to well done - I was wandering around & thru & sitting inside a GMC Astro Van, then back to the EV, back to the GMC, & you know what - with less wasted space in front of the driver, more walk-thru room between the seats,a 4.3l V6, AWD, ABS, cheaper parts available more places, lower initial price, etc etc etc, I came to the conclusion that it would never replace the Vanagon, but the EV would come in a poor 2nd {I know, I know - blasphemyblasphemy!!!}. I have the 4.3 V6 in an AWD Jimmy, & it's a terrific engine, + we get 17+ around town, 21+ on the AZ dashes). (commence torching....;>).

The thread that occasionally runs regarding 2nd batteries doesn't apply to me, but I picked up a brochure from a company called 'Lightning Audio' (Tempe, AZ, 800/726-8178), & on the back page is listed (quote) "Lightning Cell Car Audio battery - peak discharge 1,200 amps, cold crank 550 amps, short circuit 2,600 amps, reserve capacity 25 amps-72 minutes; 9.67x5x6.5", 43% smaller than Optima, warrant (sic) for deep cycle applications, sealed design 100% maint. free, mounts in any position yadada yadada etc ". Sure seemed like a pretty dinky battery to have all those amps floating around inside.

Austin