Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         05 Nov 96 07:03:20 PST
From:         CARVER_JEFFREY@aphub.aerojetpd.com (Jeff Carver)
Subject:      Re: Stuck Bolt, Removed, CV's '80

Thanks to all for the suggestions and ideas. Finally got it off. Here's the saga. On the way home purchased a NEW 5" pair of Vice Grips, the real brand, to go with the 5 pairs of bigger ones I already have (Wow, I didn't know I had that many, musta been breedin') Found a 7mm allen wrench, and bought another 6mm while I was at it. Couldn't find Liquid Wrench in a spray to get behind the axle. I have already removed the rubber boot to verify it's really a hex I'm messing with and cleaned it well with dental tool and carb cleaner. Bolt in question is fortunately in the full down position. Inner bolts all removed and CV is wired in the full up position.

Cut off the 7mm with a cutting wheel on a drill (resin and fibre style wheel) and ground a slight taper on the hex. Installed hex into bolt, smacked it and attempt to loosen, (many times did I do this) to no avail, got it seated well, but it cammed out each time. Even used the impact wrench.

Stared at the already removed CV joint stuff and realized that the thin metal portion of the rubber boot is what was in the way of access by the Vice Grips. Found my largest, lifetime warranty, screw-pry-cut-bend-driver and placing it upon the offending piece of metal drove the tool through the metal in a few places with a heavy heart, I mean hammer. Felt good. Then applying same tool to center of cut pieces proceeded to bend them towards the center of the hub. This provided clearance to allow Vice Grips to be in positon to grip on bolt head. FWIW there is sufficient clearance to get a 7in pair in there, but I haven't the hand muscles to squeeze the pliers sufficiently to grip bolt head enough to work, bummer. Same with 5in.

Confident now that there is clearance for Vice Grips, I gave up and drilled that head off. I happen to have a few carbide oval shaped metal removing tools, and used them instead of a drill bit. Removed the head and removed CV. Applied Liquid Wrench to threads, and applied 5in VG's, but wasn't necessary 'cause by this point that bolt was finger loose.

So the moral of the story of CV bolt removal in a Vanagon. Drilling out the head is fairly easy and once done and CV removed, access for liquid bolt looseners and VG's is available.

Now to install the temporary pair of CV's until the new ones arrive.

- Jeff + (2) '80 Westi's, '67 Sqbk, '64 Ford Crewcab, '87 Subaru 4WD Grass Valley, California, USA, Earth