Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 1996 08:29:26 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <m.radtke@elm.az05.bull.com>
Subject:      RE: Electric Cruise for '87 Vanagon

Hello,

I am interested in this as well.

Why do you want an electric? Do you have a diesel? I have used vacuum based cruises in busses for 15 years without a problem.

Of the several that I've tried, I prefer one made by Zemco. My current one, since 1984 in my '84 ruptured the diaphragm in the servo this Spring ... My first Zemco failure. However, when I tried to get a new part, I only found disconnected and wrong phone numbers. The Zemco that made my cruise is out of business.

I fixed the diaphragm by fabricating a new one from one of those heavy rubber balloons that kids bounce around. However, I have low confidence that it will last. My local FLAPS don't seem to carry cruise controls any more. JCWhitney still has them, but I am a little uncomfortable buying before looking the installation instructions over.

Besides the ease of installation, the thing that sold me on the Zemco was its fail-safe design. The unit uses an ignition signal to detect a rapid change in engine speed rather than a clutch switch. The Zemco would not operate if the detector wire fell off. Clutch switch units have no way of knowing if the switch becomes inoperative.

Mike

---------- >From: Paul Albert[SMTP:got_art@telis.org] Sent: Tuesday, November 05, 1996 1:12 AM To: Multiple recipients of list Subject: Electric Cruise for '87 Vanagon

Nov 5, 1996 12:02 AM Hello, Isspro in Portland sells an electric servo cruise control kit for Vanagons complete with stalk etc. for about $200. Has anybody completed this installation. If so, please comment on degree of difficulty of installation (0-10) and the degree of funtionality of this non-factory installed item, again-(0-10). '87 Vanagon-Westy. Thanks to all Paul Albert got_art@telis.org