Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 1996 09:31:06 -0700 (MST)
From:         D&J <hetchins@montana.com>
Subject:      Re: more problems with 82 westyn/noise, bearings, wiring.

Walt sez,

: Hi to all you vanaganers and thanks to you who responded to my :question re piston wear and compression. : As it turned out, my low (15 psi) compression was due to a dropped :intake valve seat. Newish head rebuilt by GEX. Ron says that their rep is :not so good. Got another head and put it back together this weekend and :after initial run in, found 150 psi. Higher than the rest by 10+. : Now the real problem. My van still runs no better than before. I :pulled the plug wire off that cylinder and the engine idled the same as :before. It has good spark and when I pulled the injecter out, I seemed to :get a good spray, but I am not too sure about that yet as I had to fiddle

(snip)

:Could this be a cuase for funky clutch action? Often from start up I get a :jutter, kind of like a quick grab which can kill the engine at low rpm, :shake the engine off its mounts at the right rpm and engage smoothly at :high rpm. I though that there would be oil on the disk so I changed it :out, but of course there was no change. The other thought was that the :flywheel was warpped. I thought of that after installing the clutch. : I am at my whits end now. I need to drive my beloved westing again :before I go crazy. If anyone has some suggestions, please email me : ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ :directly at EWALT@transby.net. :^^^^^^^^ : : Thanks, Walt.

Hey Walt,

A couple of the reasons I am on this list are to learn as much as I can and to seek advice from those who are wiser (not necessarily older.) I am very interested in the answers to the questions you have posed and think they should be addressed to the entire mailing list as well as emailed directly to you. No fair posting a puzzle and then keeping the answer to yourself. :-)

Cheers,

D&J hetchins@montana.com

"I may need a whole new part or just a dab of paint..."