Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 05 Nov 1996 16:43:51 -0600
From:         "R.D. Robertson" <rdr@arn.net>
Subject:      Custom-made sump plate for '72 - '83 engines, threaded for VDO oil temp sender

All,

I explained to Danny, at Danny's Volks Stuff, a local VW mail-order parts house, the oil leak problem I was having with my '79 Bus. It has a 9/16" hole drilled in the stock oil sump plate, for the VDO oil temp sender, which was was seeping oil at a slow but constant rate. I hate *all* oil leaks, they make my ride look low-rent and eventually make a nasty mess on the driveway, which inevitably gets tracked into the house.

Danny volunteered to make a billet aluminum sump plate with a threaded hole to accomodate the VDO oil sump temperature sender for me.

It took until Sunday for him to have enough peace and quiet to turn it down on the lathe, thread the hole, etc.

It's really too pretty to put on the engine, but I did that last night anyway, while changing oil/filter to 10w30/BOSCH for the winter (it gets bitterly COLD here and in the nearby Rockies).

It doesn't leak a drop. He machined it from a solid piece of aircraft aluminum, so it's thicker and much stronger than the stock sump plate. It still uses the stock O-ring for sealing. Because the sump plate's considerably thicker than stock, I had to use two longer (20mm) M6 bolts to mount it. I used a new copper crush washer between the sender and sump plate.

I took pictures of it, front and back, which I'll make available as UU-encoded .JPG files to whoever wants them as soon as I develop the B&W negatives and scan them in.

Danny'd have to make a dozen or more of the sump plates at one time to be able to make any $$ for his efforts.

Danny & I have worked out a deal where he'll do engine rebuilding, etc., in exchange for my advertising services (see latest DB&HVWs & VW Trends for his ads), so he didn't charge me anything. And, (shameless plug) here's his address:

Danny's Volks Stuff 1024 W 6th Amarillo TX 79101 (806) 372-2812

If enough folks order this item, he'll probably make you one.

Roy