Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 5 Nov 1996 18:20:30 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@clang.sdsc.edu>
Subject:      Exhaust Emissions Help ?

Hello One & All;

I am trying to get my 82 Vanagon (non-California version) through the smog emissions inspection in California. Preliminary results indicate that at idle, the hydrocarbon (HC) emission levels are 4 times that allowable by CA law (250 ppm HC). At 2500 rpm, the HC emissions are reduced to borderline passing (250-300 ppm). Prior to this initial inspection. I did a complete tune-up; new plugs (Cu), points, rotor, dist cap, plug wires ... dynamic timing @ 900 rpm, and even spiked my gasoline with a nice dose of methanol The methanol addition resulted in reduced emissions (1200 ppm to 1000), but clearly not enough to pass.

The Vanagon has the orignal 2.0 L, fuel-inj, air-cooled engine that I rebuilt 13,000 miles ago (Summer 1994). Total miles on the engine, including rebuild miles, is about 80,000. The rebuild included remanufactured heads, oil pump, cam, pistons, main bearings, cylinders, rods, hyd lifters, (practically everything in the block), oil cooler, coil, rebuilt dist, etc. The exhaust system is a non-California system. During the rebuild the EGR filter device (completely rusted out) was removed, and the attachment point to the cross-over pipe was welded shut. I currently get about 18-19 mpg with this vehicle and it runs like a charm. Only problem I've encountered, prior to and after the rebuild, is that the vehicle sometimes is very slugish re-starting after it's been started, driven a few minutes, then turned off. This is a sporadic occurrence (usually circumvented by pumping the accelerator a couple of times prior to turningover the engine). I usually fill-up with 87 Octane gasoline (major brands), and have been using 10W40 Oil (Pennzoil).

I can replace the EGR filter unit and repair the connection, at considerable expense, but am unconvinced that returning the exhaust system to it's original condition alone will reduce the HC emissions enough to pass the smog inspection. Based upon my description of the vehicle above, could anyone suggest a reason (or fix) why the HC emissions are so high. If I'm paying attention, I can actually smell unburnt gasoline discharging from the tail pipe (but it's not overpowering).

Based upon California's stringent smog inspection rules, I need to reduce the HC emmisions or the vehicle is not driveable in CA. My options at this point are to fix the problem (if it's possible), sell the vehicle in another state, or convert it into an expensive coffee table.

Since I would really like to keep this work horse vehicle, I would greatly appreciate any help, hints, suggestions, etc., on repairs, adjustments I can make to reduce the high HC emissions.

Thanks, Chris

73' Sqbk (original owner) 86' Westy 82' Vanagon (for how much longer ?)