Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 06 Nov 1996 12:41:52 -0800
From:         Tonya Pope <galba@premier.net>
Subject:      [Fwd: Re: Choosing a VW mechanic]

Lionel--

Let me just say, good luck.

There are 3 places in the closest 'big' town to me (about an hour away) that will work on my vanagon. On is a german only type place, mostly VWs. I'm sure their fine on the cars, but they replaced an expensive part that, come to find out, wasn't my problem and took it upon themselves to adjust the throttle for me. Needless to say, they haven't gotten another dime from me since.

The second place is a VW only that really specializes in the older models (mostly air-cooled varieties). They know what they know and know their limitations. I can trust them to bring my van to them. If they know what's wrong, they'll tell me. Then, they'll tell me if they know how to fix it or not. They have, so far, been very honest. If it's something they don't feel they have enough experience with, they'll tell me and give me a good estimate on what I ought to pay someone to fix it. The honesty and diagnostic help is great, but their lack of experience is sometimes REALLY frustrating.

The last resort is the dealer. They don't have the patience to diagnose problems but have the expertise to fix it if place #2 tell them what to fix. Unfortunately, they ARE expensive. However, on standard stuff like oil changes, they are actually the cheapest place in town (cheaper, and usually faster because of no wait, than the quickie places).

Anyhow, like I said, good luck. Shop around, and get second opinions if your vanagon is capable of movement!

Tonya

I don't have the luxury of going to a non-VW. All of them within 150 miles are too chicken!