Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 01 Nov 1996 11:49:36 -0800
From:         Ron Lussier <coyote@zuni.chaco.com>
Subject:      Re: aux. battery

At 12:04 PM 10/31/96 -0600, Tom Forhan wrote: >If your vehicle is pre-wired for the auxiliary battery, >as are most late Westies, one place you can find the complete >instructions are at Coyote's Vanagon FAQ: >http://www.chaco.com/~coyote/vw

Or just http://www.chaco.com/vw/ (submissions welcome!)

>Now, especially for the furnace fiends, my current aux battery >is a 12 volt golf cart unit, something like 35 AMP. So at 1.5 amps >continous, you are looking at 24hrs of operation, no doubt less in the >real world. Ron would like something bigger, and so would I. > >Since I'm already giving up cargo space for the furnace, I want to find >the biggest, meanest deep discharge battery that will still fit in that >little, depth challenged space. When I took the Westie to my FLBS >(friendly local battery store) the best the could do, with numerous >trips back and forth for trial fits, was the 35 amp unit. So I bought >it. > >If the ideal battery is still available in Europe, maybe someone could >organize a group purchase, and ...nah...don't look at me. (Besides, I'll >just bet batteries are harder to ship, hazardous and all that.) > >As an alternative, maybe *your* FLBS has more selection, or creative >alternatives. Lets hear about them.

I'm currently looking into the Stinger battery. WAY expensive, but if it fits, I'll consider it. Like Tom said, I want the meanest battery I can get for the new furnace.

Ron

-- Ron 'Coyote' Lussier /\_/\ ____ Chaco Communications (408) 865-0657 ( ) \ _/__ 10164 Parkwood Drive #8 coyote@chaco.com \ / \X / Cupertino, CA 95014-1533 (1990 VW Westfalia Camper) \_/ \/ http://www.chaco.com/~coyote