Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 07 Nov 96 07:01:13 CST
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: New Book Examines Volkswagen's Nazi Years

On Thu, 7 Nov 1996 01:28:17 -0600 James Cohen said: >Times. We may all love VWs but we should never forget it's less than >innocent beginings. Sometimes I'm not sure how to reconcile the fact >that every car I own is a VW with Nazi roots, but if I was in Germany >50 years ago I could've been condemned to slave labor and made to work >to death. >VWs are great, but there is blood it's hands.

then we should not drive Nissans or Toyotas or Hondas?? Toyoda (the spelling of the parent company before the war) made most of Japan's military trucks. Nissan also helped. Honda (the man, not the current car company) made piston rings for Toyoda. so they all contributed to the Pearl Harbor attack??

and what about the anti-union "police" employed by GM and Ford during the 20's and 30's?? there's blood on those cars as well ... and not even the "excuse" of nationalism: just pure capitalistic greed and exploitation of the "working class".

my point here is that none of our families are pure of record. one of my own ancestors was hung for horse stealing in north carolina. my mother's side left ireland because of some sort of shady dealings or trouble with the law (they won't talk about it! ;) and while family ties are well and good, they do NOT define who *I* am. neither do the maniacal dreams of Hitler and his hencemen define what a VW is today.

the helicopter was pushed into development because of war, and pushed even farther into its current state of reliability and ability by the Korean war and the Vietnam war. but i don't think any of us want to do without the helicopter ... it is far too useful in saving lives as a flying ambulance.

ALL inventions and developments of technology are two-edged swords: they can be used for good, or they can be used for evil. your bus can carry sick people or dogs or cats to the hospitcal ... or it can transport drugs into or across the country. a pistol can be used to enforce law and prevent a crime ... or it can be used to defy law and kill someone. it's the choice of the humans.

if *WE* had been directing things back then, WE wouldn't have done the same things, knowing what we know now. but WE weren't there, and the people that were did what they did. for good or bad, that's what the history is. we can either live with that and go on with our lives, or we can try to find some totally pure and unsullied products on which to base our lives. and i'm afraid that there are NO such products. at least, not that i've seen in my lifetime.

... and another thing: a book is the product on HUMANS. and HUMANS are subject to make mistakes or, at the very least, mis-interpretations of "facts" at a later date. any anthropologist will tell you NOT to try to put today's ethics and morals onto any society in the past, based on what you dig up out of the ground. interpreting past history in terms of today's "political correctness" can lead to misleading conclusions. remember what Stalin did and said about controling "history": he who writes the books writes history. no matter what REALLY happened.

so take things like that with a grain of salt. things done in wartime aren't always exactly what you or the people involved would like ... the U.S. took its own Japanese citizens and placed them into concentration camps during World War II. why? racist fear of sabotage. why didn't we put the German citizens in similar camps? even though the FBI did, in fact, find several German/Nazi sabotage/spying groups? or the Italians? or the Irish (who tended to side with the Germans, simply because they didn't like the English)? ;)

>that gave as much latitude to its favorites as it tormented its >victims.

gee. pretty much like every other dictator in any country in any historical period. Caesar, all the Khans, Attila the Hun, the Phaerohs, the Inca and Mayan city-kings, ...

> The story of the Beetle begins with Ferdinand Porsche, then a >disgruntled former employee of Daimler-Benz. Postwar chroniclers have >built a more flattering picture of him than the book, which condemns >him as "morally indifferent" to the use of slave labor.

Henry Ford was considered pretty "morally indifferent" to his laborers as well. perhaps not in the same degree, but then in this country at that time, he was considered a "normal businessman". sort of a Bill Gates of the times. Thomas Edison was also considered to be not exactly kindly toward his paid employees. and i'm sure that most of us older folks have worked for people whose vision of THEIR designs and goals kept them from concerning themselves with the mundane problems of workers and their problems.

> When American troops occupied the plant on April 14 and 15, 1945,

hmmm. i'd always read that it was British troops that occupied the plant.

> Klaus Kocks, a Volkswagen spokesman, said he hoped the book's >depiction of the company's inglorious past would not be used by >Volkswagen's competitors. "You don't sell cars with things like this," >he said.

aha!! it's another smear-job by Ralph Nader and the GM boys!!!! :)

seriously, folks. if you believe every new book that comes along, or every old book written "after the fact", you'll be swapping philosophies and changing your belifs at least twice every decade. take what you read with a grain of salt. if it bothers you, research it further. read OTHER books by OTHER authors. form your OWN opinions ... don't buy wholesale from some new kid on the block who's screaming louder than anyone before. the new tactic of sales is Shock. National Inquirer makes millions from that tactic. read it if you must, but THINK about what you are reading.

unca joel <there's a point in there somewhere. i'm sure of it ... >