Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 8 Nov 1996 01:54:32 -0800
From:         mholser@Adobe.COM (Malcolm Holser)
Subject:      Bob Hooverisms

So I'm perusing the ol' sermons web page, and I see that there is a new one on "Tehachapi Run and Trip logs" (or vicey-versy), and Bob sounds kinda maudlin here. I guess some of you flamed him for being windy! Well I just cleared out some of my Vanagon (and type2, now)mail, 'cause my mailfile had hit 32 megs, and my machine didn't care for it anymore. That's since the 4th. Of November. This ain't 'cause the Hooverman is windy, for certain.

At any rate, I find these pages really great (mostly I find that I agree with everything, and it makes me feel less stupid to know I've got some company!). I painted my engine. Black. The other pilots thought it looked silly (this is a Lycoming 0-360, the VW-engine-from-hell). Now I read the sermons, and I feel justified! (BTW, the Millenium Cylinders I paid $1000 *each* for already came nicely painted. Black.).

I kinda chuckled, but didn't reply, at the post from the guy who was pissed that the lifters he got were flat on the bottom, and he went back and sorted through a batch to find some worn ones. I wondered when the sermon was coming, but it didn't. Now I read on the sermon page that people musta flamed Bob for writing too much. *I* don't think he could write too much. Some of it's pretty funny, too, as well as being useful. I loved the sandblasting one (but I guess you haveta have done sandblasting at a shipyard, like me to *really* appreciate it, it much worse that he makes it out -- ships are BIG, and they smell bad, too).

At any rate, I am writing this because this lifter thing the other day reminded me about a worn parts story, and reading some sermons reminded me...

My airplane was running pretty poorly. It had just been through its yearly inspection (they call these "annuals" for some reason), and the mechanic had declared it healthy. Another mechanic told me to check the plugs, and I pulled them (8 on a 4 cylinder engine). Looked good to me, nice color, clean. They were beautifully made, too. The center electrode was a precise shape to meet the two outer electrodes. They, in turn, had their ends machined to a radius to match the nice oval shape of the center. I thought they looked *great*, and proceeded to tell the mechanic so.

Wrong! They wear that way, they ain't supposed to be like that, despite how nicely they had shaped themselves! A new set of plugs, and the plane was great! I later learn that my first mechanic never saw a spark plug that needed replacing -- he couldn't bear to spend the money (significantly more than your cars ones, BTW). My plane has really hot magnetos, and the plugs only last about 200 hours, so I add in another buck-an-hour to the cost of flying. Sigh. I fly enough that I've got alot of these nicely self-machined plugs laying about.

Lifters are ground flat on the cam end. Perfectly flat. Then they are hardened. Reground ones usually don't get the hardening, so I always get new ones. They don't sit centered on the cam lobes, either, since they are designed to rotate, and this offset is what spins 'em. If they stop rotating for some reason, the wear real funny (as does your case). The rotating and the offset combine so that the lifters get a dished appearance when they wear. Like my spark plugs, just cause something looks right don't make it so. Often, on my VW's, I have no idea what something was supposed to look like, 'cause I've only seen mine, and it's typically worn to a nub. I never am sure if it's supposed to be a nub. It's because my busses are always old wrecks. Like my old airplane mechanic, I'm only happy when I get a real bargain VW, and they show it -- lots of nubs.

So there. Flame me for being windy. Bob: write more, and thanks. And correct me if them lifter bases is supposed to be nicely dished...

malcolm