Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 09 Nov 1996 08:51:05 -0600
From:         "Mark B. Magee" <condor@phoenix.net>
Subject:      Change '87 Vanagon ATF to Change ALL ATF (Questions)

Volks, Sorry in advance for so many posts w/wasserboxer question, but I intend to change the ATF in "Das Boot" today and will not have a manual for a few weeks. Can any one instruct me on the procedure for draining the torque converter after the ATF sump has been drained on my '87 GL. On US/Jap vehicles I drained the pan (if equipped w/plug) and then added some ATF to the filler, removed the ATF cooler line (pressure side) to the radiator, started the engine and let the torque converter pump say 5-quarts into a container. I would of course stop the engine and top the ATF filler frequently to ensure the torque converter never starves. In this way I replaced 100% of my old ATF w/new. This wasserboxer autoboxer is a new animal to me: no ATF cooler lines to remove and pump the ATF trapped in the torque converter. Anybody got any ideas, I just bought this creampuff and want to put in the synthetic ATF I have used for years and don't want to mix it heavily with old/contaminated ATF remaining in the torque converter. Any and all input appreciated. Thanks Volks Regards Mark B. Magee