Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 9 Nov 96 17:48:05 EST
From:         Sean Bartnik <sbart7kb@www.mwc.edu>
Subject:      Vanagon climate control info/question

Hey all, Well, I finally figured out for sure the climate controls on my '81 Vanagon.

I know now that the 3-speed fan definitely DOES NOT help with the heat. It is for fresh air only. I found this out for sure last night while messing around/driving around.

BTW when this Vanagon gets on the highway, it gets freakin' HOT in there! I like that blower on the alternator!

My problem is that I can't get the fresh air to shut off. I can close the rear vents and close the dash vents and no air comes out of those, but fresh air that's leaking in does come out of the two dashboard defroster vents when I'm driving down the road. Obviously, this is a problem as it hurts heating efficiency if it has to compete with cold air and it really hurts defroster efficiency when the heated air is mixed with the outside cold air.

So, what I want to know is how easy it is to adjust the main fresh air flaps. Hell, I also want to know WHERE THEY ARE! This was easy work on my '78, reach up under the dash and turn the little adjuster but on the '81 I've got these funky cables and who knows what? So, do I just adjust the cable or do I do it the easy way and put duct tape over the fresh air intake behind the grille? :)

Thanks for any and all replies, Sean