Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Nov 1996 06:32:02 +0000
From:         "Seastoner" <rfergus@infi.net>
Subject:      1.9auto vs. 2.0 manual

The other day I was stopped at a light getting ready to cross a bridge when I looked over and saw an almost identical Westy in the next lane. It had some decorative trim that was just slightly different from mine. He did'nt see me yet and the light changed and we took off...or rather he took off! I was trying to keep up so I could talk or at least wave to this guy at the next light. He was way ahead of me...it was the proverbial tortoise and hare race...he was a good two hundred yards ahead of me. Fortunately he took the exit that I was headed towards and we stopped at another light. He was one link up tho and I couldn't get his attention. I could tell that he had a manual transmission tho and I figured maybe his was an 86 that has the 2.0 litre engine, mine is an 85 1.9 auto. Anyhow I finally caught up to him at another light but he was in the left turn lane so we just waved and gave the thumbs up sign...but I didn't get to ask him any details...maybe he had a porche engine in there...I don't know...is the difference between the auto 1.9 and the manual 2.0 enough to account for this disparity? I'm getting a complete tune up in a week or so and replacing the fuel filter...I'm still kinda sluggish on acceleration...and after witnessing the responsiveness of this guys Westy I know mine can be a lot better. I don't mind being a tortoise..I just want to be a turbo tortoise! Any comments or advice will be much appreciated. Thanks, Rick '85 Westy Truckin' Like The DooDah Man....