Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 10 Nov 1996 11:49:44 -0800
From:         Richard Fischer <hiker1@fuse.net>
Subject:      Re: VW Camper Cooling problems

ERIC ZENO wrote:

> > On a trip last weekend, we had driven about 80 miles and the Oxygen sensor > > and alternator lights lit up but very dimly (it was dark), about 15 seconds > > later, they pulsated and became dimmer, then went out! I pulled over and > > found a mist of coolant on the rear bumper, and when I opened the inspection > > door behind the license plate, again, the coolant was full to the top and > > apparently had blown excess out the top which the engine had apparently > > Sad to say, you have a blown head gasket. The combusion gas is leaking > into the cooling system, forcing the coolant out! > > This last line you typed said it all! > > Eric Zeno

Eric, if this is so, why did the coolant not fill up the overflow reservoir on the way home (from combustion gases again displacing even more coolant)? I would expect this to be an ongoing and relentless problem. It is now staying at a "normal" level? I would expect for the cooling main tank to suck all of the overflow reservoir dry when the engine cools down (since some is being displaced by combustion), but it's not?

Any thoughts on this?

Rich Fischer