Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Nov 1996 00:21:57 -0600
From:         Rheu032@uabdpo.dpo.uab.edu (Charles R. Roberts)
Subject:      What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

Greeting fellow-list Back from Northwestern trip Vanagon/Motorcycle. From Birmingham AL to Seattle WA and all parts in between. Part way driving 1985 Westy pulling a Heavy 1985 KIOORS BMW motorcycle.Vanagon gave problems along the way. In Alb.NM experienced a power lose,corrected itself.(By the way a guy in Alb.NM Rents VW Westies, Tom Bernet = (505) 255-6611) In AZ outside a one store town of Joseph City lost ignition, was there for two nights waiting for the parts to arrive in Holbrook.(ie.,Pick-up coil in dist., also replace control module. I replace these part with Parts by the name of "GP Sorensen" (module carries a 5yr-50,000mile warranty)--- Anyone running these parts?---- Are they just as good as the Bosch parts?----(these are two parts that you should carry if you are traveling) Would have like to have made the camp out at Mommoth Lakes Ca in Sept. but instead I was camped in Joseph City in the dirt on a tall mound, I was the town attraction, as the people would rubberneck as they drove by.Didn't get to make the Cottontail Ranch either Joel,well maybe next time. Thanks for the advice on the power lose problem-(ie.,Joel and Eric no Snuggles it was not Alliens,aleast not this time). The problem returned as I was leaving Reno, so I took a chance and bought a new fuel pump, $200(bosch)ouch! NAPA wanted $265!I bet the dealer wants $400!(knew I should have carried a spare!Priced at $175 in B'ham) Following Joels suggestion,I had already replaced the fuel filters.The '85 had two filters a small square one in front of the pump and the large one (silver bullet) after the pump, strange because the NAPA store and Bentley said it uses one or the other depending on CA or nonCA? I replace both!

She ran great from Reno all the way back to B'ham.I took 395 South back from Herlong CA where the Bus/trailer had been waiting for my return trip with the bike, riding up and back down the coastline(Seattle/San Fran, Hwy101 nice,Hwy 1 WOW!,Great motorcycle in Sierras, but may return trip through Donners Pass(late Oct) in the rain and sleet was not so fun!At least no one tried to eat me.) Hwy 395 was a great road, I camped/parked the Westy in Independence CA in a county park with a small running stream and majestic snow covered Mts in the back ground. What beautiful country! The Westy average about 15miles/gal of fuel, pulling the bike/trailer. Is that good or bad? -----What type mileage are you other Volks getting?------

Also may ---emissions light came on,how can you reset it?--- Need a tool?--- I do more reading here on the Vanagon page than I do writing, but I found that I was really lost not have the advice close at hand when the Westys started giving problems. Thanks to all of you that have contributed to my education on these wonderful nomadic vehicles that we call Buses,Vanagons,Bricks,westys, etc. I really enjoyed the comfort of the westy, No tent to put up and take down,no packing, just brew the coffee and hit the road! (When camping/touring on a motorcycle packing time can be extensive.) Calfornia Dreaming. Charles,