Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Nov 1996 12:32:29 -0500
From:         VWmiked@aol.com
Subject:      Re: (Fuel filter) What a Long Strange Trip It's Been

Charles-

Sounds like a good trip (breakingdown but making it through with the road-side repair always makes for more excitement, increases the hero feeling)

I've got the same wierd two filter set up on my 83.5 westie. If you look at the Bently this matches the set up for the Digifant fuel set-up, but I am pretty sure I have a Digijet (aren't all 83-85 H20 boxers Digijet) which says to have either one or the other. I've had it suggested to me that somebody was having trouble with the silver tube gettin' clogged so tried to extend the life of it with the little plastic filter. I've had the same results looking at NAPA for parts, but what's wierd if you go to Grand or Kragen and look it up in the Fram guide it only show the plastic one for 83.5 and the metal one for 86 and up. It has confounded me as well. I would like to get it straighted out, I don't want to be putting undo strain on my fuel pump or be messing with the injection by having to much resistance in the lines.

Your the second person I've known of who tows a motorbike, my friend Thomas had a green late 70's breadloaf westie (Country Home) on which he towed a pretty good sized dirt bike, I think he got as much as 20 mpg on his after he rebuilt the breadloaf's engine!

Good luck, let me know if you solve the fuel filter wierdness,

Mike D 83.5 White Westie Lake Tahoe, CA