Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 11 Nov 1996 14:34:44 -0500
From:         JonR <jonr@empire.net>
Subject:      Re: Ever live in your bus?

During the Mid 60s-Mid '70s my grandfather owned a Cranberry bog in MA... During the Winter months Nov-Mar he would live in his VW camper down in Mexico... he had various models during that time ;started with a '62 hardtop( used), next was a '64 hardtop(new), then a '71 pop-top(new) loved those front disc brakes...in '74 he went to a Dodge based Motor home and towed a '74 Super Beetle...

He had Various camp stoves along the way mostly using Coleman fuel/white gas... and mostly used coleman coolers for food...

I have one picture of his '62 with aftermarket Wedge shaped roofrack tent and another "potty-room" tent that fit over the rear hatch.. potty facility consisted of a bucket with a toilet seat...

shower... not... he mostly did nightly sponge baths...

he had friends literally everwhere in Mexico and Central America

had "Lady friends" on both coasts of Mexico...

Started doing this traveling at age 65 till he passed away at age '74...

Sold his Bog in MA around '70 or so and lived in Mexico almost year 'round ( had to Live a couple months of the year with us, to maintain "residency"... )

Used to come up and take me with him for 2-3 weeks at a time when I was a kid... did Lots of Indian ruins(Tenn,AL,AR.) and beach (Gulf Coast) trips Some of my best Childhood summer memories...

JonR