Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 14 Nov 1996 11:41:09 -0400 (AST)
From:         smitht@unb.ca (Tim Smith)
Subject:      Re: Mudflap installation - any tips?

I bought the biggest ugliest cheapest plainest mudflaps I could fined, 1/4" rubber slabs 20x12 size. $7.99/pair. Turned them sideways and mounted then with stainlees steel machine screws and washers by drilling holes into the jack post beam, just below the body floor. They reach from the inner side of the wheel well across to 1/2" outside fender lips. I drilled one hole in the fender lip inside the wheel well(not through exposed paint surface) to hold that corner in place. Huge 20" wide mudflaps that hang down about 8" below frame. As big as feasible.

Do they work? Well as air brakes maybe :) Still get snow running boards built up fast in winter, starting at the 2nd floor brace instead of full length. Crap still all over the sides of the bus too. Propane tank encased in frozen slush.... really don't think it was worth it. On a loaf I'd used the same flaps hanging down almost to the ground. This worked great, until backing up in snow pushed the flaps into the tires whence they were both torn off instantly. Now I know why some transport trucks have 'chained down' mudflaps!! I'm advocating full wheel well covers for all, enclose the entire tire, fronts and rears, go for the 50's car of the future look!! YMMV, tim

ps: to protect from rock rash underside apply the rubberized undercoating spray every second year. this will cut down on rusting.