Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 15 Nov 1996 09:56:51 -0800 (PST)
From:         Beth Young <young@sherlock.sims.berkeley.edu>
Subject:      Re: 81 Vanagon

The fuel injection system on the '81 Vanagon is essentially independent from the ignition system. That is, although the ECU takes some input from the ignition system (timing of spark) there is no "management" of ignition going on. So, I'd think you could use the Hall effect distributor, coil, etc. with carburators.

One part you won't need if you go to carbs is the idle stabelizer - the small black box on the left forward side of the engine bay with two round connectors coming out the bottom. This sends signals to the ECU: since you'll have no ECU, no need for the stabilizer.

Disconnect the two plugs from the idle stabilizer and connect them together. Then unscrew the idle stabilizer and send it to me!! :)