Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 16 Nov 1996 16:27:17 -0500
From:         "Gregory Mitch Daughtry" <gmdaugh@eos.ncsu.edu>
Subject:      Re: Yes, move into the bus and travel the world! Was: Ever live in your bus?

Well,

Move into your bus and climb the world!

Summer before last I spent over six months living out of my Westy. Four months of it were on the road, mostly in Colorado, Wyoming, and California. I was rock-climbing full time.

Bird-bathed in creeks (no soap, don't need it). Occasionally got hot soapy showers from KOA type campgrounds. Solar bag showers available from most outdoor stores are nice, but I didn't have one. Most of the places I stay have porta-a-potties, but a good backpacking trowel is wonderful for digging cat-holes. Keep it in a zip-lock baggie.

I use an MSR Alpine cook-set supplemented with a teflon coated small frying pan with the handle removed for smaller packing. I think a great spice kit is essential for survival. Don't forget a french press for coffee.

I also have logged some pretty serious "urban" camping time. I lived out of my fan for about three months here in Raleigh, NC this fall and about two months last fall after returning from the four month climbing trip out west. I am in graduate school in Raleigh, NC (graduating in three weeks!!!! WHOOOPEEEEEEE!)

I think urban camping in the south (well east coast) in general is pretty scary. I'm real careful about where I park. Always have all the curtains drawn and try to be as low profile as possible. I only cook after dark. I usually cook enough for a couple of meals and keep extra in the fridge. If anyone is interested I can give some good hints on how ot select a "camp" site in the city. In general, you need to look like just another car parked, in a safe neighborhood. Usually, though it is inevitable that you make friends and find a cool situation. Things always work out, they have no other choice.

I concur with Martin's posts. Essentially what you are doing is an expeditionary style back packing trip. There are some very good books on back-packing available from outdoor outfitters. They can give you an excellent idea on how to pack. How much clothes to bring. How to wash the clothes you do have. How to be as low-impact as possible. Excellent cooking ideas, and ways to minimize clean up. Ways to vary the day-to-day monotany of the experience. I don't have a problem with this one.

I love being on the road.

There's a great quote. I can't remember who said it, I have it written down at home, but here it is anyway:

"All who wander are not lost."

Happy bussin (vanagonning)!

-- - Greg Daughtry -