Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 18 Nov 1996 09:43:26 -0800
From:         Ian Webb <ian_webb@virginia.edu>
Subject:      Temp light on for no apparent reason (90 vanagon)

I've got a perplexing problem and I'm hoping to get some input from the list to try to solve it. On my 90 Camper, my temperature light comes on for no apparent reason. here's the story: 2 weeks ago I switched out my coolant temp sensor (the blue one) on the thermostat housing to cure a stalling problem I was having when the van was cold. I bled the radiator, but probably didn't do a good job of it. No problems. then, 10 days later, its about 27 degrees outside, and I leave for work. I let the van warm up for about 5 minutes, get in and start off for work. The van is in no way warm--temp guage hasn't moved even a little, transmission shifts with some effort (you know how it is)--and then the temp light starts blinking. I pull over, check the levels of coolant and they seem ok. Start back up and go a few miles, temp guage just starting to rise, and the light starts blinking again. I stop for a train. start back up and a few minutes later, it starts blinking again. I get to work and its still blinking, but by now the van is up to normal operating temperature, according to the guage, the light continues to blink...

So I bleed the radiator and am able to bleed off a little air. I think that was the cause, but later on that afternoon, it starts blinking again. So I change out the coolant LEVEL sensor in the resevoir. The light stays off for a trip to the mall (about 10 miles) so I think thats it...then it comes back on. Try to bleed it again...no air...still blinks. And interestingly enough, it doesn't always begin blinking at the same time. Just for kicks on Saturday morning, I sat in the van while it warmed up, staring at the temp light and listening to "Car Talk" in public radio. Nothing. So I start off to Kroger, get a mile down the road--you guessed it--blinking again!!!

All this while its been pretty cold out, 20's at night, high 30's durnig day, so I think maybe its somehow related to the outside temperature. Yesterday it got into the 50's in the afternoon, so I start it up then and let it warm up to normal operating temp...no light...get in to drive around block and it starts blinking again. I try to bleed it again and get no air.

At no time has the temp. guage gone above normal operating temp. Any ideas?

just to recap: *I have changed blue coolant temp sensor in thermostat housing *I have changed coolant level sensor in expansion tank *I have checked levels of coolant. they appear ok. *I have heat, front and back (which would suggest that the thermostat is OK) *I have bled radiator several times (which would also suggest thermostat is OK)

As Joel has suggested, I can try to change out the other (grey) temp sensor on the thermostat housing, but as far as we know, that works the temp guage, not the light. I've been trying to decipher the wiring diagram in my bentley, to determine EXACTLY what that light is supposed to tell me, but I not an electrical engineer and am getting no real useful info from the book...

thanks, Ian

--

Ian Webb, Assistant Director University of Virginia Roanoke Center Phone: (540) 857-7922 Fax: (540) 857-7936 ian_webb@virginia.edu