Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 19 Nov 1996 20:22:40 +0200
From:         zeidler@NTCNTG02DU.ntc.nokia.com (Zeidler Helmut NTC/Dusseld.)
Subject:      SA's AUDI 5 Cyl. thoughts

Hello Listees,

According to another request about technical information to Vanagon to AUDI 5 Cyl. engine conversions I received this friendly answer from the VW South African people. Because the different bellhousing is well known, I like to ask for the engine support and give them some information about my almost finished conversion.

>Dear Helmut > >I have been in contact with our Service Technical Department >and they have returned the following results to me for your >attention: > >a) You should be more specific in terms of the information >you require, as well as the route that you will follow to >effect the conversion. The powertrain specifications that >detail all the changes are in fact tied in with the water >cooled chassis i.e. 2.1 bus with Digijet fuel injection. > >b) Even though it is possible to do this conversion there >will be major structural changes to the body, we are not sure >of your local legislation is this respect. > >c) The engine bay floor needs to be raised 100 mm and the >length of the bay increased to accommodate the longer 5 >cylinder engine, also the transmission must be moved forwards. > >d) Perhaps you should obtain our engine and transmission >combination, and then mock up the vehicle around this. >This is the simplest route to follow. > >Kind Regards > >vwmaster@vw.co.za >for >Mike Robinson >Information and Equipment Supervisor

Some comments to c)

In my conversion the engine and transmission support are lowered by 30 mm and I figured out, that the engine deck lid needs to be raised by 40 mm. The AUDI 5 Cyl. engine comes with two block length, 541 mm and 583 mm (This is from my mind). I got the shorter one and I had to cut the front end of the hole for the lid to get some space for the ignition distributor. This was a 10 mm forward cut on the length of 100 mm. The aircooled tranny don't need to be moved forwards. This is different to the Diesel boxes.

Stay tuned for further information,

Helmut '80 Camper