Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 15:18:21 -0600 (MDT)
From:         Jack Reed <jackr@fortnet.org>
Subject:      Re: Aux solenoid/hot start fix article

Before replying to Sean, I have to state that I was brain dead when I responded earlier suggesting that the starter amperage would flow through the aux relay. My apologies to the collective mind...

...and now, back to your regularly scheduled mailing list...

On Wed, 20 Nov 1996, Sean Bartnik wrote:

> Mine was not even a Bosch relay, it was an auxiliary light relay made by > NightBlaster or some such for their fog lights. Rated to 30 amps. It's > done well for me, but I must confess I installed it in summer and sold > the bus a week or so ago, so I don't know how it would do in the dead of > winter but it did great down to 20 F or so. Hoover once told me when I > asked him about this that the draw was around 30 amps. I think the > Bosch relay is only fused for 15 amps and I haven't heard of anybody > having problems.

I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't caught Bob in any falsisms, er, falsehoods, lies, etc., so I'll probably amend the article to reflect his observations, while leaving in my observations about the generic Ford relay.

I know, I know, I felt the same way about it when I installed it. The clinching factor for me though was the fact that the solenoid was going in an exposed area by the engine. The generic Ford is an enclosed steel box, while the Bosch, or equivalent, is usually a small plastic box that wasn't sealed against the elements. The generic Ford just seemed better designed for harsh environmental conditions.

I hear that.

Jack