Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 22:19:12 -0500
From:         John Anderson <vwbus@netbiz.net>
Subject:      Re: FS: 1969 VW Pickup Truck VA (VALUE?)

> I have a VW pickup for sale. It is a 1969 single cab and is driven daily. > I have done the following to it recently: > * New front brakes > * new shocks > * new tires > * new battery > * complete tune up / valve adj. > * Va. state inspection > * new exhaust extractor system > * Everything works !!! > > This is really a classic truck and in great shape for restoration. It was owned > by a Washington area VW dealer since new, and used as their parts runner. > The sheet metal very good, and the only damage resulted from a rear end > collision - but it is really minor. > > Pending college tuition payments force me to sell it, otherwise I wouldn't > consider it. The asking price is $ 4000.00. This is a great daily

Looked at this truck today and will report and seek opinions, first it is generally not as good as I had hoped, from a distance looks gorgeous but the closer you get... Thing is more solid than any non-restored single cab I've ever seen though, rust primarily as follows. Both front floors many small holes where dips in the sheetmetal are, in drivers a piece tacked in on top, may have been a good size hole there below. Dog legs big 2" hole at corner of step area, steps excellent though. Area where seat belts mount and rear of front wheel wells excellent. Area around windshield appears excellent but its had 1 repaint. Rear of rockers at seam to wheelwell arch 2" holes each side. "Tool chest" area no holes floor solid, doors good surface rust from hard use. Floor of bed, really beat up total surface rust, but solid no holes, for resto would need replaced though. Gates are better than I've seen but not incredible. Rear gate 100%, side gates, top channel replaced with heating tin (well done probably pro job holding up OK only) bottom channels and joints to cross pieces fair, outside panel of gates straight and nice. Underneath all straight and not rusty frame inner rockers floor etc. Rear end accident damage not all that bad, bumper needs straightening, new deck lid needed and left corner needs pounded a bit but battery trays 100% solid. Engine and running gear seem very strong but somewhat unknown. I would estimate that the 62k showing has been round only once. Basically the truck is what you get for a dealer parts hauler that was worked hard but garaged its entire life with no concern for dings, scratches, chips, then sits out abandoned to rust (heavily in places) on the surface for 5-10 years. I seek opinions on values, I'd peg it between $2000 and $2500 from what I've seen locally but bay prices are really climbing past sensibility to me it seems. 4 new reinforced XZX radials. Oh interior fair would clean up OK, seats OK door panels OK, headliner would be new if it weren't for 3 small 2" rips. I do covet a truck and they are hard to find up here but seems a but steep to me, but as I got really good bites on the Vanagon and Corrado who knows maybe I'll do it anyway.

John vwbus@netbiz.net