Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 20 Nov 1996 23:03:31 -0800
From:         david kao <dtkao@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: Tiny Drops of Coolant

Mark McCulley wrote: > > At 08:42 PM 11/19/96 -0600, bob tickle wrote: > > >I looked all around the engine compartment and could not find any leaking > >hoses or pipes, so I must assume it is coming from the lower part of the > >engine. > > > >Doesn't seem to leak much. I assume 1 or 2 drops a minute while driving. > > > >What is the diagnosis?? Head gasket? >

Hopefuly it's not head gasket. But if it is then just the gasket set could cost you $200. My 84 vanagon at 110k went that route once. My pocket was shy of cash so I decided to cure it myself. I bought a set of gasket (don't remember exactly the cost). I had the job done myself successfully.

Before I did it I called upon some VW dealers. I found that they did not want to sell me piston liner set. They said it is impossible for home mechanics to do it at home and therefore it was not to be sold at dealerships. Also, they wanted $100+ for each exhaust valve and a little less for intake ones. I thought that was an intention of rip off. I bought the gasket from a gray market parts place. Well, I was warned that I should not take the cylinders off or I would need special tools to do the job. Too late, I had taken them off. I realized that it indeed was difficult to put them back in.

Well, I made the tool from just about $10 of hardware. I was able to remove all pistons and cleaned up all ring grooves before putting them back. At the end I successfully reassembled the engine with all new gaskets and sealant. The van has been on the road for over 1k miles now. Everything is still fine. My driveway is free of coolant drops now.

The cylinders and pistons are in surprisingly good condition after 110k miles. I did not see any visible wear on the cylinder wall. But the vale tips were kind of smashed a bit. I did not replace them so the engine is a bit noisy now. I will get new heads next time in maybe a couple of years. The engine probably can last over 200k miles.

David Kao

83 westy 84 vanagon