Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 1996 07:09:20 -0800 (PST)
From:         Beth Young <young@sherlock.sims.berkeley.edu>
Subject:      RE: Where can I rent a CO meter in East Bay (CA)

I finally broke down and went to a local "German Auto Repair" shop.

I explained what I needed (timing, idle speed, idle mixture) and he pretended to look up the shop time this job would take in one of those big thick book, then hit his calculator a few times (I could see he wasn't really calculating anything) and then announced the job would be $46.

It took him 15 minutes to get his Sun analyzer working, then he shoved the sniffer up the tailpipe. When I told him the manual said to make this test in *front* of the catalytic converter, he looked startled but then recovered by saying that the smog emission folks check after the converter (I told him I had to have the bus smogged soon) and besides, in his experience, "everytime I've tried to remove the bolt from the exhaust, they end up breaking."

When he checked the timing he said it was OK (I knew that - I set it myself!) but explained that since I didn't have an idle stabilizer the timing was moving around. (The timing, when I set it, was rock- steady; and I know that the idle stabilizer works by *adjusting* the timing!)

While he was working we yacked a bit and he deliverd all sort of dubious (to me information); don't use Shell gas, always use super premium gas, etc., etc.

I left the shop $46 poorer, convinced, once again, that I knew more about my bus then the German-car "pro" I had just dealt with.

I see that JCW has a CO tester in their catalog for $150; all I have to do is go to this guy twice more and I've paid for it!