Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 1996 18:38:58 -0800
From:         tcopley@unixg.ubc.ca (Tobin Copley)
Subject:      Re: Save your ball joints!

At 8:05 PM 11/21/96, jag@cs.rochester.edu wrote: >...After 10 years or so, the rubber [on the ball joint] usually >cracks, and the previously sealed joint is now exposed to the >elements. The Bentley manual says: replace ball joint! > >Instead of replacing the joints per Bentley, I thought about other >solutions: > [Replace the boot: too tough to be worth it] > [Self vulcanizing rubber tape: appears OK after 6 months]

Another option done around here is to tap a grease nipple into the ball joint to allow grease that's dried up or is leaking out to be topped up or replaced. I think it should be possible to do this on a bus. I did this recently on my Hy*ndai P*ny [sorry, sorry...] recently, and while the problem causing the leaking grease (a small hole in a boot) is still there, it bought me some time before I have to replace the joints, which is a job I'd like to put off for as long as possible.

If I can keep good clean grease in the joints, I expect to get several more years of use out of my existing joints. And that's good enough for my "daily" winter driver.

(I did only the lower joints BTW, but it's usually the lowers that wear the fastest anyway.)

Tobin '76 westy '87 Hy*ndai P*ny

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin T. Copley tobin.copley@ubc.ca B.C. Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS Voice: (604) 631-5753 St. Paul's Hospital Fax: (604) 631-5005 Rm 570-43 1081 Burrard Street http://cfeweb.hivnet.ubc.ca/chrp/project Vancouver, B.C. Canada V6Z 1Y6