Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 1996 23:23:30 -0800
From:         Austin <austins@ix.netcom.com>
Subject:      Re: Snow Traction Devices?

At 03:11 PM 11/21/96 -0600, you wrote:

> > Any suggestions for snow traction devices for an '85 Westy. How > about chains vs. cables. Are there some brands/types that are easier > to put on than others?

"Z" cable chains are the ones I've settled on after going thru too many sets like those described below - they are by far the smoothest, easiest to install, and won't disintegrate if you have to make a quick run up to 35 mph & back. (they're not worth much off road or in mud, however). They're on sale in the current JCW special 'sale' catalog.

> I have a set of cables for my other car that I dread to put on > because you have to reach behind the wheel and thread a nylon web > through a buckle to secure them. This is not easy when your hands are > cold & numb and you can't see what your doing because the wheel is > blocking your sight.

This *really* s*cks - the first set I had were these - absolute junk, you can never tighten them enough even with a rubber spider, & trying to thread the stupid nylon strap while working in frozen slush at night will make you regret saving a few $$.

Austin