Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 31 Oct 1996 22:37:47 -0800
From:         Art McGinn <amcginn@arachnid.microweb.com>
Subject:      Re: Laugh...its Friday

are we sure this was only a 12-volt system?

Scott Atkinson wrote: > > Hope you havent seen this one... it made my eyes water! > > (sorry for the non VW content....but it is Friday) > > ------------------------------------------------------ > By John McCaslin > THE WASHINGTON TIMES > ------------------------------------------------------ > > Only in Arkansas > > Here's more on why Arkansas is everyone's favorite > state. This is from the Arkansas Democrat Gazette: > "Two local men were seriously injured when their > pickup truck left the road and hit a tree near Cotton > Plant on State Highway 38 early Monday morning ... > "Thurston Poole, 33, of Des Arc, and Billy Ray > Wallis, 38, of Little Rock are listed in serious > condition at Baptist Medical Center. The accident > occurred as the two men were returning to Des Arc > after a frog-gigging trip. [Note to city slickers: > frog-gigging, or frog-sticking, is how, armed with a > small pitchfork, you catch frogs from the bayou bank. > Frog legs make a tasty supper.] > "On an overcast Sunday night, Poole's pickup truck > headlights malfunctioned. The two men concluded that > the headlight fuse on the older-model truck had > burned out. As a replacement fuse was not available, > Wallis noticed that the .22 caliber bullet from his > pistol fit perfectly into the fuse box next to the > steering wheel column. Upon inserting the bullet, the > headlights again began to operate and the two men > proceeded on eastbound toward the White River Bridge. > "After traveling approximately 20 miles and just > before crossing the river, the bullet apparently > overheated, discharged and struck Poole in the right > testicle. The vehicle swerved sharply to the right, > exiting the pavement and striking the tree. Poole > suffered only minor cuts and abrasions from the > accident, but will require surgery to repair the > other wound. Wallis sustained a broken clavicle and > was treated and released. > "'Thank God we weren't on that bridge when Thurston > shot his nuts off or we might have been dead,' said > Wallis. > "'I've been a trooper for 10 years in this part of > the world,' said Deputy Snyder, 'but this is a first > for me. I can't believe that those two would admit > how the accident happened.' > "Upon being notified of the wreck, Lavinia, Poole's > wife, asked how many frogs the boys had caught, and > did anyone think to get them from the truck." > > Scott Atkinson > Computer Systems Manager > CSIRO > Division of Water Resources Email: Scott.Atkinson@per.dwr.csiro.au > Private Bag Phone: +61-9-387 0206 +61-9-041 904 3422 > PO Wembley WA 6014 Fax: +61-9-387 8211 > Australia Web: http://www.dwr.csiro.au > > --------------------------------------------------------------------- > I think that all right-thinking people in this country are sick and > tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this > country with being sick and tired. I'm certainly not! But I'm > sick and tired of being told that I am! -- Monty Python > ---------------------------------------------------------------------