Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 21 Nov 1996 15:18:41 -0600 (CST)
From:         "Matt Soiney (Young Goodman)" <bugman@csd.uwm.edu>
Subject:      87 syncro questions

i have two problems with a friends 87 syncro.

1. He recently broke the bearing cage in the left front cv joint. After it broke he only drove at most .25 mile. A friend had a new front shaft complete with two cv's on it from what year i do not know. It is easier and faster to just switch the shafts than to switch the joint. DO THE FRONT DRIVESHAFT LENGTHS ON SYNCROS VARY? AND IF SO BY HOW MUCH. I did the switch and everythink seemed to fit ok. He drove it for a couple of days and then..........

2. The front diff was very hot--almost too hot to touch. I know that these things will get warm, but not hhhoooot, right? I am kinda thinking that he did some damage to this unit or maybe the fluid level is low. I don't think the this diff got magically hot after the cv switch. I think he was just checking the new repair and came upon a hot diff. What kind of fluid does the front diff take?

any help would be greatly appreciated

matt bugman@alpha1.csd.uwm.edu