Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 1996 01:19:42 +0000
From:         Scott Maurer <smaur@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: Engine blown...

At 06:40 PM 12/4/96 +0000, you wrote: >'85 Vanagon blues - > >Her tale of woe, >fiddling with the radio, >3rd gear at 6000 rpm, >do I need to shift again? >what's that clanking sound >that's getting louder all around? >then there is a bang and a cloud of smoke, >perhaps this is no joke? >lets stop the car and take a look, >why, that is oil pouring out underneath, >the towtruck number is in the book. >Hun, can you fix my car, >I didn't want to go very far... > > >We like our car, but... >Is there a market in used engines, or is it salvage time for the old beast? > >Any suggestions appreciated, >Mark > > Mark,

Sorry to hear about your engine! I was recently in the market for an engine for my '84 GL. I did not find any working engines in Portland, OR, auto recycling yards. One place had sold one recently for $550. The Vanagon it came out of read 200,000 plus miles. I don't think I saw a newly rebuilt engine for less than $1,300. And the range of prices I found, went up steeply to $4,000. I decided to rebuild from 2 blown engines (with different areas "blown"), and many new parts. So far, 300 miles on rebuildt, so good.

good luck,

Scott Maurer 1984 GL