Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 11 Dec 1996 21:58:39 +0100
From:         Philippe Oudot <p_oudot@worldnet.fr>
Subject:      Re: French Syncro Club

At 09:25 11/12/1996, Tim Smith wrote:

>What size tires are you using with the 16" wheels? I think your Syncro-16 >has different shock absorbers and perhaps springs too?=20

Hello Tim, great to hear from you, are you talking french or do you know people who does?

True, shock absorbers and springs are stiffer on the 16" wheeler, but it's also true for the 14" in Europe. Since we are driving faster than in the US, I don't know about Canada, they give better handling but of course, less comfort. When I was in California, I had a '85 2WD Vanagon GL, and the suspension was a lot softer. On my Syncro, tires size is 205/16 on stock 5.5" steel rims with Goodyear Wrangler A/T. Pretty good tires, especially in snow, but I think BFGoodrich would be better. A Syncro Club member mount BFGoodrich in 225/16 with genuine rims and it does fine although he loses some power that is, as you know, normal with this underpowered 70 HP 1.6 liter TD engine!! Some people that own 14" Syncros mount 15" Mercedes rims, alloy or steel, they fit well and are really cheap in junkyards. > >In this vanagon list there are about 24 members, but so far apart that >perhaps only two or three people are living near each other.

I've seen in the VW links that there is a Westy Club in Qu=E9bec, too far= from me... > >Your Syncro sounds perfect, I would like to convert mine to a TD, but the >gas engine is still good so I wait. What is your Oettinger engine like? >How much power/torque. Are there any other conversions done in Europe? We >can fit Subaru 2.2l 4 cyl engines in, gives 130HP or a 6 cylinder 3.3l >Subaru for 230HP. Some people do 3.2l Porsche engines too, but this is= very >expensive. It is less expensive to convert to a Subaru 2.2l than to repair >a completely worn out VW 2.1l engine. Diesel engines were only sold (in= 2WD >versions) in 1982-83 and some people have converted them to Golf/Jetta gas >versions or TD versions. I do not know of any Syncros in this country= which >have used these conversions however. Do you use the Audi 5cylinder engines >in Europe like they do in South Africa? =20 > If your engine is fine, just keep it! They are a lot more reliable than these stupid TD engines. I got a TD only because they are easier to get in France and the diesel cheaper. I wouldn't do that in US/Canada although I don't know the price of gas in your place. I got mine a year ago or so and the Oettinger kit was already on it. It is supposed to give 20 more HP, that is, as I remember more or less the same power than 2.1 liter gas engines. I'm not sure it's true, but anyway, with a TD engine, you have to drive always above 2500 rpm, otherwise, you're stuck! Gas engines are a lot stronger at low revs, which is very useful off road. Torque would be, if I believe Oettinger brochure 170 Nm at 2900 rpm. The kit has an air/water intercooler in the engine compartment near the air filter and an additionnal radiator in front of the van and the main radiator. 2 more hoses...Better watch for leaks... Fuel pump and turbocharger pressures are of course increased. Until now, it works fine. Oettinger does other conversions like a 2.5 liters with 117 horses and 196 Nm at 3400 rpm with your 2.1 liter engine. I think it would be a better idea for you that TD engine. Top speed with this conversion is about 92 mph for a 14" Syncro, in Europe of course... And 97.5 with a 2 WD. The price of this (in France) is about USD 9800. Pretty expensive, huh? Another possibility is an Oettinger made gas 3.2l 6 cylinders, not a Carrera 2, that is around USD 36150, without the van of course... Interesting, isn't it? Porsche engine would be cheaper, I'm sure. If you still want the Oettinger address, it's located in Max-Planck-Stra=DFe 36, D-61381= Friedrichsdorf Phone (06172)7053-55, Fax (06172)7056. There is also another company in Germany called Papmahl, which does TD conversion like Oettinger and you can get the address in the FAQ on the VW Syncro Westy Peb Page. The differences, for a 1.6l TD, are 100 HP at 3700 rpm and 195 Nm at 2900 rpm. It's about the same price than Oettinger, USD 3550, but you get for the same price an additionnal oil cooler which is really needed if you want to keep some reliability when driving down the highways at 4000/4500 rpm, that is around 70 to 75 mph with a 16" wheeler. Gear ratios are shorter than 14". I don't know why. Subaru 2.2l is certainly a very good idea since these cars are not so expensive in the US and are known for really good reliability. See the Rally World Championship. We don't have them in France anyway. Too bad. I don't know about VW/Audi 5 cylinders, like you say in South Africa but I'd really like to know more about this. Are they gas or diesel engines? If you know someone who have done this conversion, please let me know. I'd be happy to get more information.

>Are there suppliers of skid plates to protect the underneath of the Syncro >from rocks, and brush guards to protect the front? I do a lot of driving= in >forest areas and often need to push aside or drive over small trees. There >is nothing available here.

I don't know suppliers for push bars and skid plates, since the Syncros are not made anymore. But I do know a guy that does that, in France of course, for all 4WD. It's custom welded and it's very well done. It's also possible to add an electrical winch. I saw some Syncros with this and also a 5 or more millimeters aluminum plate under the front bumper and the engine. Really good looking and very efficient. Look for sheet metal or welding company in your place and I'm pretty sure you'll get what you want.=20 You can also have a look on the FAQ in the VW Syncro Westy Web Page. Look for photos and you'll see a great red Syncro double cab with superb push bar and gallery welded together. Great job! I think I'll do the same pretty= soon.

Thanks to you all and sorry for having beeing so long, but when I'm talking about Syncros, I can't stop. They are just the best vans over the world. Just a little underpowered and expensive to fix...

Philippe Oudot '89 Syncro TD 16"