Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 5 Dec 1996 00:58:20 -0500
From:         Taylrbc@aol.com
Subject:      Re: ..TD conversion

>Are you using the standard diesel injector pump or the pump for a >turbodiesel along with the added turbo?

I am using the standard inj pump with a slight adjustment for more fuel on the fuel delivery adj screw. It seems ok for power with mileage still running around 27mpg after some trial and error. A lean diesel is happier than too rich a mixture?

>I'm working on a similar conversion. Did your use of the Quantum >manifolds allow you to retain the standard diesel left motor mount without >modification?

No change to the motor mounts were necessary to get it the turbo to fit. I did not try fitting the Jetta style manifold, and I am not sure what the factory TD vans used, the qntm manifold ends up with the turbo drain close to the pan oil level.

>Does the van (with the turbo) have a better top speed? All the posts >I read talk about 60 mph tops

Before I did the conversion, top end was around 65 mph, now it will hit 75 mph pretty easily, my '83 camper has the 5 speed trans. which probably helps. The hills and merging with traffic are the most appreciated change, I still cruise at 60-65 mph.