Vanagon EuroVan
Previous (more recent) messageNext (less recent) messagePrevious (more recent) in topicNext (less recent) in topicPrevious (more recent) by same authorNext (less recent) by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 05 Dec 1996 13:51:07 -0500
From:         Dino Kubik <KubikD@em.agr.ca>
Subject:      Brakes - Adj & 12mm Rotor

I did some brake work on the '89 Westie Syncro (cost detail follows), and have 3 questions. Also & looking for tips on adjusting park break & getting air out of lines.

Any members of the list live near 700 block of Aberdino St, Fredericton, NB? Could use a test pilot to try the brakes.

Cheers

Dino KubiK '89 Westie Syncro 64 K Kilometres

ADJUSTING STARS... QUESTION 1: When listening for shoe-to- hub contact, should you rotate the hub using the lugs or by pushing on the top of the hub?

BACKGROUND: I adjusted the shoes "out" (pushed down from above?) until the noise of the break was audible when the hub was turned using the lug studs. Then I re-adjusted the shoes "in" until the noise disappeared when turning the hub with the lug studs. However; when I rotated the left hub by pushing on the top of the hub I could hear a scrap!! I re-re-adjusted the shoes "in" some more until no scrape sound was audible when rotating the hub with a push from the top. Did I do the right thing??

editorial comment "God bless John Muir! I would never have figured the stars out using the Bentley."

FRONT ROTORS QUESTION 2: Should I worry about rust collecting on a spare pair of 12mm rotors that I want to store? If yes, how do you prevent the rust?

QUESTION 3: The Bentley says that 13mm is a minimum - any one got experience using rotors measuring 12mm.

BACKGROUND: The original front rotors were turned & when I got them back I misread the calipers & mistakenly concluded they were 9mm thick. When you use the caliper correctly they measure out at 11 or 12 mm. I put them on until the new pair could be ordered, and drove gingerly for about 500 km. There was a squeak that got progressively worse. The new rotors arrived and installation went well - no squeak. I am hoping to store the old rotors as spares. (editorial note - since this was my first break job the squeak could have been from the workmanship not rotor thickness)

COSTS -

AFTER MARKET Front Semi-metallic Pads C$58, plus tax for a total of C$68

Front Rotors (Brembo from Italy) C$97 each, C$194 for 2, plus tax for a total of C$228.

VW DEALER Front Pads C$111, plus tax for a total of C$131.

Rotors C$82 each, C$164 for 2, plus tax for a total of $C194.

NOTE: Discovered my "after - market - parts - mechanic" bought the Brembos through the VW dealer at $82 each & sold to me at $97 each (humm... 18% mark-up on cost) . Dealer claims these were the last pair in Canada so now only VW originals available at: C$215 each, C$430 for 2, plus tax for a total of $507. (I'll be keeping those 11-12 mm rotors).