Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 24 Dec 1996 03:40:02 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Christopher M. Smith" <csmith@sdsc.edu>
Subject:      GEX Heads

Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about GEX Heads ? I'm curious as to wether I'm having bad luck or are GEX Heads a problem all around.

I used a couple of remanufactured heads ofrom GEX on my 82' Vanagon (2.0L, aircld, fi) during a rebuild in 94'. Recently, I blew a head gasket, so have done a partial teardown.

Pistons and cylinders are A o.k. (from GEX as well), but both heads need to be completely rebuilt (after only 15K miles). Several of the guides and valves are shot and apparently the inside of the head wasn't properly machined (GEX ?). Cost of rebuild is near the same as cost or rebuilt heads from GEX. Given my luck with GEX and the reliability and experise of my local machine shop, I'm having the machine shop do the rebuild.

Any comments ?

Curious Chris in San Diego