Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 1996 06:08:23 PST
From:         kdlewis@juno.com (kenneth d lewis)
Subject:      Re: Have you replaced the Receiver/Drier in your A/C?

Drew; Possible theory: Old reciever/drier released drier material into system where it collected down stream in expansion valve causing partial blockage. The seepage is the new recievers way of responding to the increased pressure. Good Luck Ken Lewis kdlewis@juno.com 86 VW crewcab 85 VW Vanagon GL 60 356 coupe

On Mon, 2 Dec 1996 11:01:18 -0600 Drew Jenkins <djenkins@foxboro.com> writes: > >My mechanic is doing work on the A/C system of the 86 Syncro. He has >detected a very small leak in the system at the blowoff plug of the >receiver drier. > >Typically, the blowoff plug does not just seep, but rather it opens >and all the freon leaks very quickly. On a catastropphic failure like >this, the system will not hold any pressure. That is not what >happened. The system will hold some pressure but it leaks out over 24 >hours. > >FYI, this receiver drier was replaced in June this summer. > >He has some theories on the cause of the problem here, but to verify >his ideas, we need some feedback from owners of 86 and up >Vanagons. What we want to find out is the turnover rate of receiver >driers due to the blowoff plug failing. > >So, if you have had your receiver drier replaced and it was replaced >because the blowoff plug failed, let me know. I must stress that a >receiver drier is sometimes replaced because the desicant is "full" >of moisture. If this is the case, you don't need to let me know about >your receiver drier replacement. > >Secondly, if anyone has replaced the expansion valve of the A/C >system, please let me know. > >Thanks in advance. > >Drew Jenkins 86 Syncro >djenkins@foxboro.com >