Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Dec 1996 19:35:50 -0500
From:         TStone8359@aol.com
Subject:      Fwd: The price of air conditioning

Sounds like a problem I had a few years ago. It took an astute repair person (not at VW dealer) to diagnose the problem and make the repair. There is a resister in the front end of the car somewhere that has something to do with the speed with which the radiator and A/C consendor cooling fan runs. On our vehicle, the fan's low speed was not kicking on when the A/C was turned on, so heat was building up in the system and was popping the valve on the receiver/dryer before the high speed fan could kick. Might look for a multiple tap dropping resistor in the A/C and fan circuits with one of the loops open.

Tom

'77 Bus '85 Westy '87 GL (with good A/C)

--------------------- Forwarded message: >From: prhanlon@dibbs.net (Philip R. Hanlon) Sender: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu Reply-to: prhanlon@dibbs.net To: vanagon@lenti.med.umn.edu (Multiple recipients of list) Date: 96-12-23 23:28:22 EST

Vanagoners:

Like the "price of admiralty," it's high! Except for several recharges and one switch problem, all was well until 1995. Following an engine replacement (2/95 at 80K miles for the usual reasons) the A/C stopped cooling the following winter. While delaying repair because of cooler weather, the compressor "froze up" in 1/96. I couldn't loosen the A/C assembly and the engine wouldn't go. Had it towed to the dealer. Compressor (603), expansion valve (38), receiver/dryer (163), belts, gaskets, fees, labor, tax: 1363.66! Within a month, the new (rebuilt) engine with 10-12 K miles on it blew up. To make a long story just a little longer, fired the local dealer, had it towed to Pete Moore Imports in Pensacola. Happy ending (development?) sorta, VWoA footed bill for new engine if I would sink $1600 into complete set of new cooling hoses. By late spring 96, wife has bought new Grand Caravan and the Vanagon is mine to "do whatever I want with it. She's into reliability, doesn't like VWs any more! Thanks to this list, I become a fast learner. During trip to New Orleans, 10/96, pop off valve on receiver/drier must have popped off. Noticed "oily" fluid spots on bumper and side moldings and no cold air on the trip back to Mobile. New receiver/dryer (166), expansion valve (81), vacuum/recharge (80), labor (155) at local A/C shop. Just last week noticed that the high pressure hose leading out of the compressor forward toward the condensor was leaking. Looked like a soaker hose for about six inches, no obvious jets of a/c oil. 8 feet of new hose (48,) vacuum/recharge (80,) labor (57.) Talked with a/c man; anytime you replace the dryer (after a failure, at least) you need a new expansion valve. Why do the dryers fail? Pressure relief so something else doesn't blow up, but then the question is, why did the pressure rise? Honest answer: don't know. Unless something is obviously amiss, more diagnostics often just mean more cost with often (usually?!) no more answers. Car and van medicine resembles people medicine! I've learned a lot about the Vanagon a/c system in the last few months, not to mention other systems, but the tuition is killing me. Still, it's wonderful technology when it works and in my climate almost a "must have" option. Any words of wisdom (or encouragement) from the a/c mavens?

Philip R. Hanlon Mobile, AL 91 Carat (Orly Blue)