Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 25 Dec 1996 21:26:13 -0700 (MST)
From:         gmillang@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject:      Re: gas heater vs. H2O heater

w > I currently own an '85 westy that I drive year-round up here in Edmonton (-35 C yesterday) and before that I had a '77, both equipped with gas heater, but the '85 of course has the H2O heat also. The gas heater alone on the '77 was no match for the cold (especially on the hiway with wind-chill @ 60 mph) if the temp dropped below 0 F(-17 C) .. otherwise it could really belt out the heat, but since it recirculated interior air it fogged the windows right now. The colder the weather, the more gasoline it consumed, so I was left with some pretty pathetic mpg numbers when the mercury dropped. The VW is a pretty cavernous space to heat with that one heater. My current '85 has both a front and rear H2O heater also, but I still occassionally use the gas for a quick warmup on really cold days. The rear H2O heater is very good, and probably throws as many BTU's as the gasser (with a more powerful fan), but the front one uses fresh air right off the street, so on really cold, dark days it is tepid at best. I could probably cure that by throwing a cardboard in front (but that's so hideous so I use the gasser for aux heat instead).

GARY MILLANG email: gmillang@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca 10814 173 AVENUE phone: 456-5489 EDMONTON, AB, T5X 3Z4