Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Dec 96 13:30:16 -0600
From:         Rocko Flamefart <-@--.-->
Subject:      Idle Stabs. - opinions

Cetin had wrote (written?): This post on idle stabilization reminded me of something -- my '87 now seems to idle quite well once it is warm, yet, it takes a long time to warm up in Pittsburgh, PA for the system to get off the 'cold engine' mode... Is there an easy setting for what the 'cold' rpm should be, or even just a screw to adjust how much extra fuel is sent to the cylinders when the engine is cold? I do not really like the engine racing at 2200 rpm when it is this cold -- I'd feel a lot more at ease if it idled at around 1500 or so when the engine is cold... ****

i'm not sure if the Digifant (86 on) system actually has a built in 'fast idle' curve built in to the stabilizer control unit. in *effect*, when the stabilizer starts getting gummy, this IS what happens... it runs fast when cold and then settles down once the engine temp softens any goo/frost within the little buzzing jobber. but if i remember right, and someone jump in here, the factory design is to have the idle stabilize at 950 rpm regardless of outside conditions. so even if it is cold enough for your oil to be like molasses, the stabilizer bypasses enough air around the throttle plate to keep the idle up at 1000 rpm. i believe this is how mine operates when i've just cleaned it... funny how one forgets these things seasonally. it's actually a nice system, just prone to the actuator getting gummed up with sludge from the crankcase breather. but it is easily cleanable and has enough range of motion to keep the engine running when it is stiff and cold.

now the 'fast idle' on a pre-86 engine is totally different. there the bypass air is regulated with an electromechanical device that has a bimetal strip that lowers a disk over the bypass orfice. a heater wrapped around the bimetal controls the 'warm up' time on this and one can see an authentic fast idle with this system. no ECU input.

-dan (in search of an immaculate Westy Syncro?? no. no, my marriage couldn't take the stress. but gee, if there's anyone out there.....)