Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Dec 1996 13:36:56 -0700 (MST)
From:         gmillang@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Subject:      Cold Weather Driving

I've got an '85 Westy that I drive year round, but I have been having trouble with highway travel. After about an hour of cold weather driving (below 0 F) the engine will start to sputter. This is especially noticeable if I change speed; e.g. I was driving against a strong head wind flat out and everything was fine until I had to slow down to enter a small town. Suddenly the van almost quit entirely! I pulled over, and it idled normally, but had almost zero power. After idling and warming for a few minutes, everything was right as rain for about another hour. This has repeated about 3/4 of the times I drive out of town in the extreme cold. I called a VW shop here, and I got a guy on the phone who told me that it's fairly common and VW knows about it, but doesn't have a fix, since most people park their VW's in the winter and don't experience this problem. He suggested I could replace the air-flow sensor for $300, but it may or may not solve the problem. On a subsquent call to this shop, I couldn't find the guy I had talked to, and the guy on the phone disavowed any knowledge of Vanagons freezing up on the highway. Has anybody else heard of this, or experienced it? Any fixes? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

GARY MILLANG email: gmillang@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca 10814 173 AVENUE phone: 456-5489 EDMONTON, AB, T5X 3Z4