Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 26 Dec 1996 22:44:23 -0500
From:         SyncroHead@aol.com
Subject:      Re: Vanagon Syncro

In a message dated 96-12-26 21:09:44 EST, Cwright042 writes:

<< I could use your advice on 87 Vanagons or just Vanagons in general(if you have the time). I am looking to buy a 87 Syncro with 98,000 miles on it which supposedly is in excellent condition, the owner says that he has done everthing to it which has needed to be done to keep it in excellent condition though I am not sure what to look for along the lines of possible reasons not to buy it. Since you have owned an 87 (though I don't know if your 87 was a syncro or not) would you mind giving me some general advice on what I should look for to determine if the car is worth buying, and also your general satisfaction or dissatisfaction with the 87 vanagons. I have never owned one and I hope that I am not making a mistake in getting one. Thank you for your help!! >>

Dear Cwright042, I am forwarding a copy of your question and my response to the Vanagon Email list, a group of about 500 watercooled Vanagon & Eurovan owners who might care to offer additional advice to you. Anyone caring to provide advice can email the originator at: Cwright042@aol.com

I suggest that you subscribe to the Vanagon email list by sending an email to:

listserv@lenti.med.umn.edu

with the subject: SUBSCRIBE JOHN DOE

(where JOHN DOE is your own real name). After about a day, you'll begin getting messages from the list. Read the first message from the Vanagon list owner, it has important information about list ettiquitte & such.

Now, about your question: I have both an 87 Syncro and an 88 Wolfsburg edition with an automatic transmission and I'm quite pleased with both. The 87 now has about 150,000 miles and the 88 about 115,000. I think that 98000 is relatively few miles for an 87. With regard to all watercooled (1983-1/2 - 1991) gasoline powered Vanagons, the no. 1 item to check out is potential coolant leaking from the head gaskets. This leak is common, and usually afflicts Vanagons between 70,000 and 130,000 miles. Some have gone much longer, some shorter, but that's not very common. The leak is caused by corrosion of the head material along the head gasket. When the corrosion gets bad enough, the gaskets can no longer seal & the leak develops. The cost to repair (replace the heads & gaskets) this runs between $800-do it yourself and $2,300-VWdealer repair. Ask the owner if this repair has been done & when. If it hasn't been done, you can expect to do it before too long. The owner might have even had this recently diagnosed & is selling instead of fixing!! Examine the engine top & bottom for any signs of blue or green coolant deposits, that have been left behind from small leaks. After getting the van good & warm, look for leaks by lying under the back of the van (BRAKE ON, WHEELS CHOCKED!!).

Most other items are the same things that would need checking on any vehicle. Also, Syncros have 8 CV joints & they occasionally need new grease or replacing. Take the van for a 20 minute freeway drive and then slow down & turn some sharp corners. If the CV joints need attention they'll make clicking noises then. Also, visually check all the CV joint boots.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to discourage you from buying a Vanagon (I love mine), I just want to help you keep your eyes open.

With regard to Syncros, some came with an optional rear differential lock that is very useful! It binds the two rear axles together when engaged and can be VERY helpful in getting traction in slippery or off-road situations. If a van has this option, there will be a little control panel on the dash below the radio, with a wierd diagram of a vehicle and one pull/push knob.

Let me know how this goes for you & hope to "see" you on the list.

Good luck, Jim Davis 87 GL Syncro 88 GL Wolfsburg Edition