Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 3 Dec 1996 08:39:45 -0800 (PST)
From:         "Steven Johnson" <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Propex installation questions

So Pat Walsh says: > 1. I think I know which is the combustion inlet and exhaust, but which is > which re. the fresh air inlet and outlets? I guess I could just hook > it up and see which one blows out air, but I figure someone has already > done that and could tell me.

The hot air outlet for the cabin is the one with first tapers from the body of the heater. The other plain cylinder is the inlet. And yes, of course I hooked it up wrong the first time. ;)

> 2. When running the silver hose from the combustion inlet/outlet to the side > of the bus, do you use the silver hose on both, or just the exhaust > (not hooking anything to the inlet)? And what about the little vent > cover hat thing? Does that go on the end of the exhaust on the side of > the bus? Or on the intake side? The instructions aren't too clear on > the details, and where all the pieces go.

You definitely want the mushroom 'hat thing' connected to the exhaust. You DO NOT ever want that to be blocked. The intake is up to you. I put the left over silver ducting on the intake and shoved it in the opposite direction of the exhaust ducting. The mushroom thingie prevents mud and snow from getting up in the ducting. You don't want those gases collecting. Most likely, though, it probably would just not start.

> 3. What about that black control box with the two sided tape? Can I just > stick it to the furnace itself, or would that be too hot?

I stuck mine on the back slanted wall of the van. It's still kind of out of the way. I don't think sticking it to the heater is a good idea, but I have no facts to back me up on that.

Steven Sacramento, CA sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com