Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 28 Dec 1996 19:07:16 -0800 (PST)
From:         bayer@sybase.com (David Bayer)
Subject:      Re: Tires - Syncro (frequently discussed)

> > How much in tire diameter could 6% represent? > > Peter Larsson > > 1994 EV Crewcab Syncro > > > Hi, Would it be that the tire diameters can't be more than 6% > different in diameter? Or would gear ratios play a part in the equasion? > If it is just Tire diameters you can take the exact diameters of each > tire and mathimatically figure the percentage of the difference in size.

The quote from the manual said 6% across the viscous coupling, but if the final drive ratios are the same for the front final drive and the rear final drive (which they would have to be if we are supposed to use the same size tires on all four wheels right?), the gear ratios cancel each other out. So you would be able to calculate the allowable difference for a given tire size based only on the diameter. Also, I would think one should allow a bit of headroom for going around corners where the back wheels will not take the same track as the front wheels and thus will not be turning at the same rate.

dave