Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 29 Dec 1996 11:49:39 -0500
From:         "R. Hotchkiss" <hotch@netaxs.com>
Subject:      Bumpers needed

Heys Guys,

Did the road trip to Chicago from Philly and wiped out on the ice in Indiana on X-Mas Eve. I slowly spun into the guard rail around South Bend and whacked both my LF and LR sections of my bumpers. I hit it hard enough to rip off the front bumper and twist it into a pretzel, the rear might bend back but it has a rip in it from the guard rail bolt.

All I can say is the van is tough as nails and slid to the lesser of two evils, the guard rail not the median ditch. NOBODY GOT HURT!!! not even the dog, we did get minor muscle pulls in our necks but for as hard as we hit I was amazed at what little damage was done. As I had mentioned both bumpers need replacing, the LF corner behind the bumper got crushed but only up to the seam that's hidden by the bumper when on, lost a turn signal lens, dented around the turn signal, the LR tow hook got bent into the skirt that got bent into the CAT flange (made an awful noise till I pulled it about a cm away) no damage to the exhaust. Already replaced the turn signal bulb with a yellow one to get home on and had to replace the the RF headlamp cause the filiment broke during impact.

I was one of over 30 cars and trucks that lost it on the ice. Indiana did not salt the road and there were fatalities.

I'm already getting a price from volks sport on new bumpers, but if anyone has a parts van I could pick at it would sure help, email me prices.

Hotch 86 GL 127K (9K in 4 months and now a little crinkled) Philly