Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Dec 1996 10:08:47 -0700 (MST)
From:         vanbondo@primenet.com (Rusty VanBondo)
Subject:      '67 Westy to be crushed! <f> <long>

Ah hahaha! Got cha! Don't worry it's not THAT '67 Westy for Pete's sake. But it is a weird tale of angst and recycling...

Lately I have been trapped in a Seinfeld type of a situation in general having to do with mysterious mail and the City of Phoenix recycling program since it started in my neighborhood about five weeks ago. In an attempt to save the whails <sic> I have been separating the beer cans, VWTrends off-road and water cooled issues, and other junk from the veggie scraps etc. A battle soon developed bewteen myself and the City over the proper location of the blue curb side container due to my lack of a driveway and parking my buses in the street. Every Monday morning at early-thirty the truck resembling an extinct dinosaur and sounding like steel factory collapsing comes roaring down the street grabbing the blue containers like a professional wrestler in a bad mood and flipps them over it's head and emptying them into it's belly. It then screams toward the next container only to repeat the process. It has been dutifully grabbing all of them... EXCEPT OURS!!! I experimented with several different spots during the first three weeks to no avail. Finally, I called the City to complain about the situation only to arrive home in the evening to find an informative door hanger telling me how many feet are required between the containers and adjacent vehicles etc. A hand written footnote mentioned sumpin about VW buses in the street. The following Sunday evening I measured footage and waited for the dinosaur to return. In the meantime, I received an official notice of "Certified Mail~SIGNEE MUST BE PRESENT TO RECEIVE." OK if they use all caps it must be important! Ooooh goodie, a possible lawsuit from the kid I punched in third grade maybe? An ex-spouse going for the Christmas Goose? Maybe it was Ed McMahon and Dick Clark!!!!!! The Post Office Holiday closures and more of that delightful free overtime at the "salary" job made it impossible to get to the post office... When I woke up to the clatter of the dinosaur, early-thirty the Monday morning following the measurements, I sprang out of bed, grabbed only my robe and Burks, and ran out of the house imagining the appropriate line from "The Night Before Christmas." The beast had skipped the house again! Imagine if you will VanBondo covered only in a robe and Burkinstocks running down the sidewalk pushing the top heavy blue container which had three weeks of "whails" in it chasing the truck! Someone could have gotten quite a <small> eyeful! Quick heated negotiations were made between the 4'8" Mexican driver of the 40' dinosaur. Something about the AFL-CIO and giving affection to his behind countered with a view of the Burkenstocks and asking him to "Recycle THIS!" A proper gentleman's agreement was finally worked out. The spot for the blue container was found at last. Ah, problem solved. Dale Carnagie would be so proud. Last night, I placed the blue container in the agreed spot in the street and the notice of the early morning post office vist in the briefcase. This morning I watched in horror as the beast passed me up again. The neighbor had placed their blue container right next to mine. DOH! skipped again! The post office eventually handed me a notice of an abandoned '67 3DSW- camper with the phone number. It was a vehicle that I had bought for $300 gutted it of nearly everything useful to me and sold to a kid <knowing exactly what he was getting> for $300. In the meantime it had been passed around like a bad girl friend. I occasionally grabbed glimpses of it. It was at a local swap meet last October being offered for $500-600! When I called the salvage yard they said that *everything* had been taken out of it and the carcass had been dumped. The only thing that they can legally do with it at this point is crush it. In the spirit of "recycling" I called a bus freak body/paint buddy of mine who might be able to nab and use some of the sheet metal before the jaws of death moosh the poor thing. Back to lurking, VanBondo\

<apologies for the length but I count this as my weekly allowance>