Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 30 Dec 1996 20:34:38 -0600
From:         Herb Harmison <herbh@iastate.edu>
Subject:      Fix for Mass Airflow Meter '91GL

After thinking a lot and working a little on my daughter's '91GL that won't start, I have discovered that there may well be a problem with the mass airflow meter rheostat.

I checked the terminal resistance on contacts 2-3 per Bentley and found erratic readings. I then took the black plastic cover off and discovered that the resistance board wiper strip is pretty well shot. The carbon is worn away down to the base board material.

The local dealer wants $469 for a new assembly including the large die cast horn and the flapper. Outrageous to replace a bad resistance board that probably doesn't cost Bosch more than a couple of dollars to make.

I called VWOA and have not heard back from them. I can't get to the archives tonight.

My plan is to lengthen the wiper blade by about 1/16" to get to new carbon on the arc. It will be tricky. Anyone know if there is chance it will work?

Does anyone have a better way to fix it?

Thanks.