Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 04 Dec 1996 12:06:34 -0600
From:         guzzi1@ix.netcom.com
Subject:      '84 VANAGON A/C & OTHER MYSTERIES

I could use some advice. I am fixing up our '84 Vanagon Westfalia. It has air conditioning wich doesn't work at all.

I am not familiar with AC systems in practice (but know the theory) since most of the cars I have worked on are English sports-cars.

Anyway. I believe the previous owner had something go wrong with the Ac and had it disconnected instead of having it fixed. At the moment there are no belts going to the compressor (I guess replacing them would be the obvious first step). The blower motor works (I believe it is in the compartment attached to the inside/back of the van facing forward). I tried turning on the AC and I don't think that the electric clutch on the compressor is working (no signs of life when switched on and off). It doesn't click or anything. (Does it have to be spinning (belted) to work?) Anyway, Does anyone know how I can check out the compressor or test for leaks on my own? Does the Vanagon AC system have any idiosyncracies that I should e aware of? Where is the heat exchanger? Is it up front? If the compressor is kaput does anyone know how much they cost?

It would be great to get the AC working before it starts to warm up. Since this won't be for a few months I thought I could tackle it myself.

Here are some more less critical questions... 1) Any idea how long the refrigerator can be run using propane? I think the stock tank holds 3 gallons? 2) Can the refrigerator be run off propane whilst driving? The manual isn't specific on this. 3)About how much do the gas-struts which support the rear hatch/door cost to replace? Should I go to the dealer? 4) What are the pros and cons of installing a seconf battery under the drivers seat? (I camp often, but am not used to comfort...usually I camp from a motorcycle) 5)My petrol tank leaks when near full. I assume it is leaking from the level-sender. How do I get at this? There seem to be two great straps holding the tank to the frame; How are they secured?

One last great mystery... On the dash just to the left of the lighter socket is a smaller socket. It is a type I have never seen before. It is only about a third the size of the lighter socket and no mention is made of it in the manual? It could be aftermarket, but it doesn't look like it. Haven't checked it out with the multimeter yet or tried to follow the line behind the dash (if there is one). Is this familiar to anyone? What is it and what is it for?

Thanks for any help in advance...

Sean