Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 1996)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 4 Dec 1996 19:34:41 +0000
From:         Scott Maurer <smaur@worldnet.att.net>
Subject:      Re: Rebuild time

At 01:09 PM 12/1/96 +0000, you wrote: > > Finally now I have come upon enough time to get to work on >rebuilding the 1.9 engine for my engineless 85. Disassembly starts today. > My plan is to go the whole nine yards, main, rod and cam bearings, >pistons and cylinders, every gasket you could think of, oil pump etc. I >want this one to run for a good long time. > My first question is this: Where do I buy parts?

I found a local (Portland, OR) VW parts distributor with competitive pricing. If you call them, mention that Scott Maurer recommended them. They are Halsey Import Parts Distributing, 1-800-792-0081, FAX (503) 256-3155, local voice (503) 256-0182.

> Secondly, what information do I have do have in my hands before I >order these parts. I am supposing that there will be a cartain amount of >crankshaft measuring, but is there anything out of the ordinary?

Your cam gear has a number on it. You'll want to buy a camshaft with a matching number or risk a whinning engine noise at high rpm (I'm told).

> Third, heads. I am thinking of at least getting valve guides and >seals, but I'll have to see them to see what they need.

The 1.9L has no valve stem seals. My valve guides, to my surprise, were within wear specifications.

> Finally, any random advice, horror stories or neat tricks would be >appreciated.

Bob,

Take any advice I might offer with a grain of salt. I have 300 miles on my rebuilt 1.9L. It is my first experience rebuilding an engine.

If you don't have one, get the Bently manual. With it and a gap guage, you can compare most of your engine parts with VW specified wear limits.

I had a VW shop with a press remove my cam gear from crankshaft. I recommend it. I was then able to replace the main bearing behind the cam gear. The cam gear slipped back on easily after a few minutes heating on a gas stove top (Karen was not pleased). I had little wear, but replaced the distributor drive gear due to the effect wear has on timing.

Good Luck,

Scott Maurer 1984 Vanagon GL voice (503) 281-4362